Sunday, February 22, 2009

Carnevale di Venezia






Yesterday I went to Venice and attended Carnevale and I fell in love with the city, to say the least. The crowds were hard to handle, getting pushed and shoved, bumped into continuously, having no personal space, getting separated(thank goodness for cell phones) but we managed to venture off to the smaller streets throughout the city. The canals everywhere you turn, gondalas passing beneath the bridges, and the simple yet perfectly fitting homes lining the water made the scenery surreal. Every street corner I turned I felt could have come straight from a painting. I told my friends I will be buying a home and retiring to Venice in 40 years. If by that time you have not yet visited the city, I extend a warm welcome to visit me at my future home :)
The carnevale itself was enjoyable as well. It has been compared to the Italian Mardi Gras. Many Venetians dressed up in authentic costumes, others just in crazy costumes. Most people simply bought masks and wore them around for the day. Every where you turned was another costume or mask stand. Our bus left around 8PM so we were leaving just as the real "party" of Carnevale was getting started, but nonetheless I enjoyed taking the city in on such a gorgeous sunny day.I also enjoyed going into all the small shops lining the streets. Venice is famous for its colorful glass sculptures, jewelry, and dishware that are made on a island off the city, called Murano.
One day wasn't enough for me and I can't wait to head back to Venice soon:)

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful pics Meghan!!!! what are you doing this weekend, you should come over to my place!


    -Stocky Cocky

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Meeph!

    This is Laura, Ann, Dean and Danny! (and shelbs!!) I am showing my family your blog....they love the pictures! Hope all is well... My mom says have some gelato for her...muahahahah, miss you much! Enjoy the rest of the weekend!

    ReplyDelete